How Do Escape Rooms Work?
Escape rooms are a fantastic way to spend time with family and friends and make a fun, interesting and unique day out. These interactive and immersive puzzle games test your problem solving and collaboration abilities and are perfect for the whole family. But the question that everyone who wants to know when it comes to these new attractions is simply; How do escape rooms work?
For the majority of escape rooms, they always start like this… You are placed in a themed room and you have a mission related to the theme or storyline – and it’s up to your group to work out how to get out. Depending on your location and the escape room you choose, you can do anything, from a mission to help your favourite sci-fi character or a high-tech jail break out, or a zombie apocalypse rescue mission… The possibilities are endless.
What kind of puzzles will you have to solve?
The puzzles involved in an escape room will run from a treasure hunt style puzzles, to decoding messages, to literal puzzles. You might have to find a missing piece, or you might need to search for a hidden message. Each puzzle or clue will be crucial to unlocking part of the next challenge, until you can figure out a way to escape.
Who are escape rooms good for?
Escape rooms are suitable for all ages and interests – especially as there are so many different themes and storylines available. They’re becoming more and more popular as team building activities for businesses for team bonding, and they make great activities for birthday parties and gatherings for friends too. They even make a great date idea!
How long does it last?
The experiences can last from 30 to 90 minutes depending on location and the plot line. If time inside the room is part of your deciding factor, it’s best to check with the escape room provider, as they will be able to give you a break down of how much each theme lasts and how it should work.
The best advice for newcomers are:
- Don’t waste time, get straight into it. When the clock is ticking – you need to get off the starting block quickly!
- Always check everything twice – clues could be hiding anywhere!
- Spread out and have different jobs for different people. The more ground you cover, the better.
- Listen to everyone, and let everyone give their opinion. Everyone thinks about things differently, so it’s crucial to embrace everyone’s chain of thoughts!
- Remember it’s a game! It’s ok to make mistakes or miss the deadline.
- Organisation is key, you never know what will be important.
- Ask, it unlikely but if you get very stuck the people working there may give you hints, especially if you are struggling.